Thursday, June 17, 2010

Well it's 1969, OK?

Countdown: Two days 'til free Stoogemania...and just a mere few hours to free X! I'm still knee-deep in the '69 Voice archives, but I wanted to give a little taste of what's to come. Yesterday in the 6/5/69 issue, I came across a personal sort-of holy grail--lineups for the Singer Bowl and N.Y. Pavilion that summer!







Singer Bowl:
7/13/69: Ten Years After, the Jeff Beck Group, Ten Years After, Teegarden and Van Winkle.
8/2/69: Steppenwolf, "Top English Band" (TBA), the Moody Blues, NRBQ.
8/10/69: Israeli Festival
8/16/69: Folk Festival with Tim Hardin, the Incredible String Band, Odetta, Tom Paxton, etc.
8/22/69: Festa Italiana
8/23/69: The Chambers Brothers
8/30/69: "Guitar Virtuoso Show" with Led Zeppelin, "2nd Top Group," Buddy Guy, Larry Coryell.
8/31/69: James Brown.

The Pavilion:
July 11-12, 1969: Grateful Dead, Joe Cocker & the Grease Band, Tribe.
July 18-19, 1969: Chuck Berry, James Cotton Blues Band, Duke Edwards Cycle.
July 25-26, 1969: Three Dog Night, Fleetwood Mac, Sea Train.
August 1-2, 1969: Rhinoceros, the Nice, Spooky Tooth.
August 8-9, 1969: Buddy Miles Express, Pacific Gas & Electric, Santana
August 15-16, 1969: Savoy Brown Blues Band, the Sir Douglas Quintet, Charlie Musselwhite
August 22-23, 1969: Albert King, AUM.
August 29-30, 1969: Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Muddy Waters, Raven.

This isn't complete--some dates are listed as TBA, and I KNOW there was a Stooges/MC5 show stuck in there at some point--so I'll keep my eyes peeled for revised versions of the ad throughout that summer's issues. Still, I was so stoked to find this that I had to make a premature share!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely saw Led Zeppelin at the pavilion in 69 or 70. The floor featured a mosaic map of New York State. I was standing on Bethel, New York which had recently been enshrined in the hippie hall of fame. Believe it or not, I think Larry Coryell opened for Zeppelin

Unknown said...

I was at a show at the Pavilion around 69,70 Zeppelin shared the bill with the Chambers Brothers for sure , I only saw those bands once, on the same bill at the Pavilion. Yours truly T. Messina

Johnny Pop said...

I was there to witness the first Stooges NY show, as well as Iron Butterfly.. Great days! I went bike riding there today, almost 50 years later!

Stuart Reben said...

Stu Reben- I was in charge of security there along with two friends. We worked two Led Zep shows one weekend at The Pavilion in 1969, when John Bonham did indeed slump over on his drums whether from drinking or lack of sleep. He was carried off the stage and the guys finished the set without him.